Sunday, April 16, 2017

Day One - 2017 Topps Series 1 Tyler Naquin #203

Day 1: A Card From the Current Year With A Photo You Like

Taking the lead from Tony at Off-Hiatus Baseball Cards this will be the first of 30 posts, using the prompts provided. I won't necessarily post one every day, but I will do one for each card, toss in a few "insights" (as insightful as I can be, anyway), and usually include an honorable mention or two, just because I'm like that.

Here's my pick - I thought about waiting until Stadium Club comes out before picking a favorite, but I am convinced that this one is still going to be high on the list. What you're looking at is rookie Tyler Naquin heading home for a walk off inside the park home run. Fransisco Lindor is matching him stride for stride to kick off the celebration.You can see the fans in the first two rows, all on their feet, giddy and elated. Naquin had hit a walk off sacrifice fly the night before, so this was his way of increasing the excitement so his game winning RBI don't get stale or boring. It was win number 70 for Cleveland, and they rode the excitement and energy from that win all the way to game seven of the World Series.
Since these are basically one card posts, why not show the backs, too?

source
When I saw this card, I recognized the context immediately, though the image I associate with Naquin's walk off is throwing up horns after his head first slide into home.


Here are a couple honorable mentions-- I'm guessing that Stadium Club will offer a few more candidates for favorite photos of 2017 releases.
Great view of Oakland Coliseum. (p.s. - I think this was the May 22nd game Hahn started vs. NYY)
Another great moment- Team U.S.A. won the World Baseball Classic for the first time, thanks in no small part to plays like this one. All the mini U.S. flags in the background are a nice touch.

1 comment:

  1. The Naquin and the Hahn cards are just brilliant in my book.

    ReplyDelete